May 26, 2012

when the going gets tough, the TOUGH gets going


          In the book of Kings, there is a prophet named Elijah during the reign of Ahab and his wife Jezebel. Elijah defended the worship of Yahweh over Baal and was easily considered by Ahab as a troubler of Israel. Jezebel ordered the killing of the prophets of Yahweh and only Elijah was left while Baal had 450. However this all changed with what happened at Mount Carmel where Elijah demonstrated that Yahweh answers the prayer of His people compared to Baal who didn't paid any attention at all. He also killed all of Baal's prophets with his sword. When Ahab told Jezebel of what Elijah did, she was enraged and threatened to kill Elijah. Elijah was afraid and ran for his life. 

          There was a time in his journey when he sat under a tree and he was so hopeless he prayed that he wants to die and said that he had enough. He was asking God to take his life away because he believed he is no better than his ancestors. He lay down under the tree and fell asleep. 

But God did not forget Elijah. 

          He sent his angel to touch Elijah and gave him food to eat and water to drink. He went to Horeb and there, Yahweh appeared to him and gave him instructions on what to do next. Elijah persevered and did not gave up because God was with him {although he wanted to at first}.

          Many times in our life, we experienced what Elijah has gone through. There has been so many times that we wanted to give up because things seem to get tougher and tougher and we are hopeless to the point that we break down. I myself have been struggling on how to finish schooling because I am afraid that I will not do well in my thesis and also because of financial issues. I was hopeless for a long time and it did not do anything good to me. I was miserable. But God reminded me of the life of Elijah and how He never forsook him so He will never forsake us too. His children. His tough ones!

          When trials keep coming in our lives, we should keep pushing and get going. I know it is easier said than done but giving up is not an option for us because greater is He that is in us than he that is in the world. We are more than conquerors by the power of His word! It really helps a lot to have people around you remind you of this when you forget it. I tend to forget this and I am thankful that I have people in my life who never fails to give me words of wisdom. 

          Finally, I want to remind you of this man, the author and perfecter of our faith, who endured lots of suffering for the joy set before him. 


Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.
Hebrews 12:2-3  


I believe the verse speaks for itself.
The joy is already set before us.
Let us not be weary and let's keep going tough ones!

No comments:

Post a Comment