April 05, 2014

On the Right Track | She Shares Truth: Joshua 1:8-9



The scripture assignment for this week’s She Shares Truth is Joshua 1:8-9.


"This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success. Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go."


I have read these particular verses a lot of times but it never tugged my heart strings the way it did now.
Being someone that has been through depression, I can say that leaving it behind is not a cakewalk.
Choosing not to be depressed anymore is difficult to do when you are the one going through it.
It may seem super duper easy but the truth is it is quite very challenging.


You get to that point where you decide to surrender everything to God.
To not be depressed anymore
To fully trust Him and His promises for you
One moment you were depressed and the next you are walking away from it.
You finally have that wonderful peace in your heart and mind.
Yay!
But things are not going to magically change right there and then.
You still have to keep pushing and living life.
It is still so much like when you were depressed only that your faith is in God now.
Not on yourself and certainly not on the things you can and can’t do.
You consult Him and include Him in your decisions.
Your every step is now guided by Him because you want Him to.
But like I said, it’s not a cakewalk.
The enemy is always there to pull you back on the depression pit.
It can be a bit scary huh?


And here is why these verses from Joshua really speak volumes of truth to me.
Even if these commands were directed to Joshua, it still holds so much truth even for us today.
The only way that I can be successful in leaving this depression pit is to meditate on God’s word.
I have to meditate on His commands every day and every night that it never departs my mouth.
Most likely, God’s word will not leave my heart and mind too that I follow Him wherever He leads me.
That I do the things He commanded me to do. 
And now He commands me to be strong and courageous.
Even when the journey of moving away from depression becomes too tiring that I would rather stay,
I have to be strong and keep pushing because He will be my strength.
Even when it’s scary that I am not in my “comfort zone” anymore (which is really not comforting at all),
I have to be courageous and trust that I am on my way towards the safe zone with Him.
God did not say the journey won’t be frightening and disappointing.
God did not specifically say it would be easy peasy.
Despite the threats along the way, He said that I still shouldn't be frightened or dismayed.
Why?
Because He is with me wherever I go
Yep, wherever I go.


My story is a lot like Joshua’s huh.
Maybe not in magnitude but still very much the same
He was scared then when he was leading the Israelites when Moses was gone.
But with God’s command and promises, Joshua kept moving.
And Joshua did many great things.
He was able to lead the Israelites into claiming the Promised Land for them.


As I keep saying in my previous posts, I still have a long way to go.
I look forward to the day that I will conquer my own “Promised Land”.
As long as I keep meditating on God’s word day and night, I am on the right track. 



No comments:

Post a Comment